Five benefits of tooth-colored dental fillings
At some point in one’s life, they will often experience a cavity. When this happens, patients need to visit their dentist to get a definitive diagnosis and to speak to a professional about treatment. Treatment is often done with the use of a filling. Fillings are the standard method by which dentists will treat cavities. They repair the damage that has been done and restore the tooth so it can function.
For many years, having a filling placed meant visiting a dentist who would place a silver amalgam material to restore the tooth. This material has been found to be problematic for some patients as it contains approximately 50% mercury. Instead, cosmetic dentists now focus on a safer alternative to fill cavities: composite resin filling. Below are just a few of the benefits of composite resin fillings:
- They are more aesthetic. Because composite resin can be matched to a patient’s tooth color, these fillings are more natural-looking in appearance.
- They provide a better seal. Silver amalgam fillings often expanded and contracted with temperature changes, which leave the inside of the tooth at risk of bacteria entering and contributing to an infection.
- They maintain more of the natural tooth structure. There is a very small amount of the natural tooth structure or enamel that needs to be removed from the tooth cavity, maintaining the strength and integrity of the tooth.
- They are affordable. Many patients are excited to learn that these restorations are very affordable and can be performed in just one visit.
- They are safe. Composite resin fillings use the same material as dental bonding, which is safe to use in the smile, unlike other non-biocompatible materials such as silver amalgam and certain metals commonly used in restorative dentistry.
Considering tooth-colored fillings in Pembroke Pines, FL?
If you are ready to learn more about composite resin fillings for your smile, now is the time to connect with Dr. Gonzalez of Gonzalez Dental Care in the Pembroke Pines, Florida area. Her practice is located at 9818 Pines Boulevard and can be reached by phone to request an appointment at (954) 432-4800.